Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Gentle Vet Animal Hospital, Dr. Ehud Sela: Toxicity in a puppy from accidental ingestion of over the counter cold medicine.

A 6 month old female spayed 24 lbs puppy presented with a history of vomiting, seizures and incoordination.

Blood work was done, and symptomatic treatment started.

Careful inspection of the house revealed that the puppy ate part of a cardboard box where over the counter cold medicine spilled and soaked into the box.

The puppy recovered completely and she's doing great.

This case demonstrates the risk to pets from over the counter medications.

In this case the symptoms were due to alcohol toxicity.

Many of these preparations have high alcohol content.

In this case the puppy ingested a small amount, indirectly, by chewing on the cardboard box, and yet became very ill.

Dr. Ehud Sela

Gentle Vet Animal Hospital, Margate, FL.

Phone: 954-972-5900.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.